ryan1cf

Virtualization Manager for VMware ESX hosts

Anyone using the Virtualization Manager with ESX hosts?  I can't get my probe to detect an ESXi 5.5 Server.  I have creds setup in Global, the Probe is showing the VM Manager Probe role and I've restarted the DB agent.  I've resent config, updated plugins.  Is there something in ESX I have to turn on?  The probe doesn't even detect the IP address of the ESX host.

Same is happening with my EXSI host machines.

I have 3 mchaine for a client are there which are not available in dashboard. I have checked the probe all set up and udated but no luck.

Also I have seen that there is no harddrive failure monitor for EXSI hosts.

Can anyone suggest other unpaid alternative?

I've now been able to set this up for another client so I know the setup in Automate is correct, so something about this particular ESX host that the probe can't detect.  I wonder if there are any requirements/settings in ESX to allow this.  The ESX host that I'm trying to get to work is pingable and it's a licenced version of 5.5.

I am having the same issue with two of our clients as well. I have 30 some clients checking in just fine.

But these two, the probe won't even pick up the IP addresses of the hosts. If anyone has any secrets, let us know!

5 hours ago, BenF said:

Silly question, but have you set SNMP and ensured that the firewalls are set correctly?

SNMP doesn't appear to be a requirement as several of my ESXi hosts do not have it running.  No firewalls involved as it's all internal and the internal firewall in Windows is disabled.
I have a support session with Automate support this Thursday to deep dive this.  What's odd is the Probe is picking up the IP as pingable, I can see this in the probe logs, but it doesn't detect that it's an ESXi host and it's ESXi 6.0 and I have other client hosts that are 4.5 and SNMP off and yet their probes detect the IP and that they are ESXi hosts.

4 minutes ago, ryan1cf said:

SNMP doesn't appear to be a requirement as several of my ESXi hosts do not have it running.  No firewalls involved as it's all internal and the internal firewall in Windows is disabled.
I have a support session with Automate support this Thursday to deep dive this.  What's odd is the Probe is picking up the IP as pingable, I can see this in the probe logs, but it doesn't detect that it's an ESXi host and it's ESXi 6.0 and I have other client hosts that are 4.5 and SNMP off and yet their probes detect the IP and that they are ESXi hosts.

Are you using the new Network Probe ? Gen2 ? There are detection issues with this. Assuming that you are using a HP server / Dell server ? We have this issue with multiple clients, randomly missing ESXi hosts. CW support is working on this......

4 minutes ago, thomasp said:

Are you using the new Network Probe ? Gen2 ? There are detection issues with this. Assuming that you are using a HP server / Dell server ? We have this issue with multiple clients, randomly missing ESXi hosts. CW support is working on this......

Yes it's the Gen2 probe.  I admit I haven't tried this with the Gen1 probe, going to try that right now.

Server type is a Lenovo ThinkServer TS440 and it's exactly ESXi 6.0 build 3620759.

Nice to hear that it's not just us.

Appears I can't disable or uncheck the "Enable New Probe" so I guess there is no choice in which gen Probe I can use.

9 minutes ago, Pendragon8062 said:

I had to enable "MAC Address Scanning" on my Gen 2 probe settings to get them to see my ESXi hosts at several clients.

Thanks for this!  I enabled that and voila, the probe is now picking up the ESXi host!  Awesome :D

1 minute ago, Luis Arango said:

I just enabled the mac address scanning on my end.

Do you know how long we are meant to wait for results on this? 

I enabled that, click save, waited maybe 15 seconds, then started a network scan.

Thanks for the feedback Ryan,

I thought it would be quick, but on my end I am still not seeing any hosts from that location come up on virtualization manager. 

I guess something else may be wrong here, but I just don't know what. 

3 hours ago, Luis Arango said:

Thanks for the feedback Ryan,

I thought it would be quick, but on my end I am still not seeing any hosts from that location come up on virtualization manager. 

I guess something else may be wrong here, but I just don't know what. 

-.net on the probe Server is 4.5.2 or higher?  Try .net repair from Microsoft if it is

-are the ESXi IP's pingable, the Probe needs to be able to ping them

-try re-sending config and system info for agent as well as remote agent\update plugins

-do any of the ESXi hosts show under Network devices?  If so, then you just need to set your ESXi (root) creds