PaulH

Record logins on a server

I just joined an MSP as the Automate administrator and they want a monitor that will open a ticket and close it when someone logs onto a specific server as an administrator. I know that Automate detects the last user ID to log on. Any ideas?

Does this need to be invisible to the users? Event log monitoring is only so-so.. You can watch for the logged in user information to change, but if the lttray isn't communicating, the user information isn't current either. CWA would do fine, for just general monitoring. With no involvement on the remote agent, just an internal monitor watching the logged in users should work. (Note, you only get the usernames.. If you want to test group membership to discover if the users is an "admin", you will need to involve the remote system somehow.

I would consider looking into setting up an event log trigger, or a simple login script. If you can fire a local command as a result of a logon 100% of the time, you can record the relevant information into a file if a ticket needed to be created.  Then using a remote monitor you can detect the presence of the "drop" and pick it up to create a ticket.

Third Wall (plugin) won’t ticket on logon but it will monitor and record all logon/logoff events which are viewable via report or through a dataview.  

Made a mistake in my last post.  If you add a simple internal monitor to a Third Wall installation, you can be alerted when a user signs into a computer.  You have to create it yourself, it doesn’t come with the plugin but if you have any questions on how to do it, I’m happy to show you how.