kspooner

LabTechGeek Updates/Annoucements

Dear LabTechGeek Community,

The LTG Admin staff have been planning and working on improving our community. While evaluating our current situation, we discovered that the current software and systems we have in place are no longer serving our community adequately. As some may have noticed, there is now a donation button present on the home page of our lovely community. We are planning to update our forum software along with our hardware, and to do that requires additional funds. With our upgrades, we calculated $1,000 to function for one year. As we are also members of this community, we are going to be transparent with our purchases. I will outline our plans below:

New Forum Software

• Includes built in Blog, Downloads Section, and others
  • More secure system that’s not fully open source.

New Hardware

• Cloud based system running in Digital Ocean
  • No longer running at @MartynKeigher’s Mom’s Basement, considering Brexit the power costs are becoming problematic.

Additional Community Rewards

• Any additional funds over the “Run for a Year” amount we plan to put back into the community as additional awards
  • Such as Scripts, Plugins, Monitors, SQL Codes, ect.
  • LTG Funded get together at ITN/AN
  • Others as needed or better ideas (since we are a community)

We are excited to bring these changes to the community for the better. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to Kyle Spooner (@kspooner) or Martyn Keigher (@martynkeigher).

To donate, you may click on the "Donate" button on the left navigation on the main page of the Forums, or visit here:

DONATE NOW

Sincerely,

Gavin Stone (@gavsto), Mendy Green (@Mendy Green), Tyler Blanchard (@hikato), Josh Ishak (@josh_stack), Martyn Keigher (@martynkeigher), Kyle Spooner (@kspooner),

P.S. We are not changing the name.

*EDIT*

At this time we have reached our goal. Thanks to everyone who donated! You don't have to stop there. We plan to give any extra donations BACK to the community in the form of contests and get-togethers.

All sounds fine to me.

I'm not knowledgeable of (nor interested in) the forum details you've laid out. I have no opinion of the choice of forum software or any of the other bullet points in so far as technical choices you make.

I trust you guys to do whatever is best.

I'm in.

PayPal is trying to take a percentage.

Anyway that can be avoided, or should I just use a different payment method?

Most important takeaway: Not changing the name.

Only feature request: Better search, that doesn't tell me "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words' and sorry we can't do this search.

Donated. Came from my personal email address though. Looking forward to the future of the LTG Community.

Marshall

What's the constitution and accountability of LabtechGeek? Limited company, Not For Profit etc? Who controls how the money is spent and what stops them from getting the hump, withdrawing all the money and pissing it up a wall? I feel these things need to be addressed if you are going to be asking for money. I'm not against donating and I'm not saying you are untrustworthy, but sometimes things can go wrong so there should be safeguards and assurances in place.

Honest Question.

I'll add my part and when Martyn is next available, I'll point him here.

There is no company formed for "LabTechGeek". Martyn and I are the only ones with access to the account with the donation funds. While in theory either of us could do what you mentioned, I don't think either of us have a desire, or need, to do such a thing. We both have worked hard on this community and to see it immediately fragment and become worthless overnight is not worth a years salary. Considering the time both of us, and the rest of the admin staff and community as a whole have spent during work hours and after work hours making things that everyone else can enjoy and profit from is just astounding. If you have any suggestions, feel free to PM me or Martyn or post here.

There is a reason why we are posting our plans to spend the money (thanks all who've donated so far!) is because we don't want people to feel we are taking anything away from them. We have been looking at ways and things to improve the community and how its information is digested and consumed, and when looking deeper at what we wanted to do, it was either spend the weeks/months of personal time. Drop a good bit of personal cash, or ask the community for assistance. We want to be as open as possible, and if I didn't answer your question properly, please let me know.

It's a good question, Mike. What we have to remember is all the LabTech Admins (myself included) have full time roles in other companies and forming a company/non profit is a significant amount of work on top of everything else for not that much benefit to the community as a whole.

I personally think that having transparency on the money that is spent is enough. Though what you are saying is not impossible, both Kyle and Martyn would have to both commit career suicide to do such a thing. It's also worth mentioning that the servers this forum is running on and all the stuff underneath has been bankrolled for years without community input. If their motives were money backed then this forum wouldn't be here ;)

A message to everyone overall; the improvements we want to make will be a significant step forward for the community as a whole. I'd like to think that everyone who uses these forums and the slack have probably had significantly more than a donation amount worth of resources out of the community in general. Please donate and help us make it even better for everyone!

Thank you everyone for the extra time you put in. I really appreciate it. Please update us if you are still coming up short.

On behalf of the admins we really appreciate all your support and we're all strongly on the side of being very open about the LTG projects and where the money will be going to help assuage any concerns.

As a relatively new admin I can say the previous admins have done a fantastic job here and I hope to continue helping them improve and build this community to be even better.

Props to Kspooner specifically for moving forward and staying on top of these new changes as well as his impeccable announcements and ability to cover all points :)

I appreciate and applaud what you guys are trying to do I just think there needs to be some transparency and structure for your own protection. Sorry if I'm teaching my Grandmother to suck eggs and stating the bleeding obvious but at the very least keep and publish good accounting records. Unless you form a company or similar constitution, I guess you will all be individually liable and accountable to the relevant tax authorities as per this https://www.gov.uk/unincorporated-associations. There are several options here https://www.gov.uk/set-up-a-social-enterprise

I'd also suggest reconsidering the use of the word "Donate" on the donate button. I've heard of instances of PayPal freezing accounts because the intended purpose of the Donate button is for charities which you clearly are not.

What you guys have done is beyond astounding and I owe each of you many beers for all the help you've given both here and in the Slack channel. The quality of the support is beyond what Labtech themselves can provide and the almost complete silence now in the official LT user forums goes to show how much more valuable your resources are than the official channel. What you are proposing is fantastic news.

Thanks for the links. However, since both Martyn and I are US based, I don't think those apply to us. I'll look into from the US standpoint. Thanks for the assistance!

Apologies, the Brexit comment led me to an incorrect assumption. Still, no doubt there are similar rules your side of the pond considering we invented most of them ;-)

This community has undeniably boosted my knowledge of LabTech/CWA and has a lot of wonderful people, including the admins I've had the pleasure of speaking with here and there.

I look forward to seeing this community continue to grow and evolve, so I'll be donating on my lunch break.

I just hope that with the push for the new name by ConnectWise doesn't affect the influx of new CWA users trying to find a forum such as this.

I could understandably see new users look at LabTech Geek and think it's a forum for outdated versions or is generally defunct. Or never even see the site because they're searching for the new name specifically!

I am checking with some of the deeper pockets here- they may have some questions so I am watching for updates about tax liability (mikemoyse)

I am checking with some of the deeper pockets here- they may have some questions so I am watching for updates about tax liability (mikemoyse)

I've looked into it, and we are fine from a Tax-Liability standpoint, with the amount we are looking to raise. PM me these "Deep Pocket" numbers you are looking at donating, as that might throw us into another category altogether. We will continue to accept donations to host contests and meetups along with some other idea's we are looking into which would require more than we are asking, just let me know on those numbers.

That should get your bank rolling!

Thanks for the support you given me over the years!

Cubert