johnsalle

ScreenConnect "Technician is Connected" box?

Question

Has anyone found a way to notify end users when a technician connects through ScreenConnect? Previously on VNC it had the box as a way to allow the users to disconnect the technician. I found some discussions on the ScreenConnect forums that they were going to build in a bubble notification when someone connected to an unattended installation back a few years ago. In my tests nothing comes up though and I'm wondering if anyone else has looked at this at all?

There's an interesting discussion on this forum a while back about how it's required for HIPAA and other compliance agencies. It hasn't come up yet with my clients, but I know they are used to getting notified when we connect to them so it could become an issue in the future.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=551&hilit=A+technician+is+connected

9 answers to this question

We just got LT10 and the included SC license. When we connect it displays a balloon from the tray icon saying connected. This was just something that was there when we installed SC.

http://help.screenconnect.com/List_of_app.config_settings I was looking at this the other day to disable the tray icon, and the option to disable/enable the balloon is listed, maybe give this a try.

I modified the "Auto Respond to Message" extension to send a chat message upon a technician connecting. I did it through the extension so I could pass the technician's name and easily turn it off and on. Then with the app.config, I made it so Always On Top is true, that way when the chat message is sent, it pops to the top.

For example, if Bob connects, it will send the following chat message:

"Company: Technician Bob has connected."

I modified the "Auto Respond to Message" extension to send a chat message upon a technician connecting. I did it through the extension so I could pass the technician's name and easily turn it off and on. Then with the app.config, I made it so Always On Top is true, that way when the chat message is sent, it pops to the top.

For example, if Bob connects, it will send the following chat message:

"Company: Technician Bob has connected."

I'm looking to do exactly what you have described here

Could you please elaborate on this. Is this a LabTech or ScreenConnect extension?

Could you please elaborate on this. Is this a LabTech or ScreenConnect extension?

It's a ScreenConnect extension. We have a standalone license, so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

It's a ScreenConnect extension. We have a standalone license, so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Thank you, I did find the extension.

I didn't realize that by "modified" you really meant that you changed the code form the extension, essentially using the extension as a starting point. I now understand that and have adapted it into a trigger which which is working great.

Where I'm still lost is how to get the tech username (from LabTech) over to ScreenConenct in order to be displayed.

Here's some basic directions I received from screenconnect support a while back on how to auto send a chat message:

To achieve this, you'll want to be on ScreenConnect 5.0 or newer and install the "Extension Developer" extension. Navigate to Admin > Extensions and click "Browse Online Extensions" to install it.

Once it is installed, you will see "Create Extension from Template" available at the bottom of the Admin > Extensions page. Click that and install the "Triggered Service Sample".

You'll want to use Develop > Edit Files and then work through the files, following the instructions in the comments. You'll want to setup the Host Name and Message in the manifest, the "Private Key" in the Service.ashx file and the domain, extension number and that same private key into the trigger definition file as instructed

Thank you, I did find the extension.

I didn't realize that by "modified" you really meant that you changed the code form the extension, essentially using the extension as a starting point. I now understand that and have adapted it into a trigger which which is working great.

Where I'm still lost is how to get the tech username (from LabTech) over to ScreenConenct in order to be displayed.

I don't have the LabTech integration anymore. All of our technicians log in and use ScreenConnect through the web interface with LDAP.

I disabled the LabTech plugin as the deployment worked pretty well, but I noticed a bunch of machines got skipped. I also have a script to custom deploy ScreenConnect to the right group (so once I set up my session groups, ex. "Client - Location", it sets those custom attributes upon install), and a script that will generate all of my session groups straight from the LabTech DB. I planned to release all of this eventually, but it looks like these may end up being features anyway.