Automating the World

Offsite
Topic Author

HP Server Monitoring (SNMP, OID, Windows)

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my way of monitoring our clients whom use HP server hardware.

I've found that this is the most reliable & functional for how we work & monitor our customers & thought I'd share it in case it helps anyone else.

Please note: I will not be responsible for any damages / downtime occurred to your devices if any occur.

First of all, you need to have SNMP installed on your servers, you can complete this by following the below:

Install SNMP feature on the OS that is directly on top of the hardware

Click on Windows Key > Administrative Tools > Server Manager.
Click Manage > Add Roles and Features.
Click Next > Select SNMP

SNMP Service Installed

Click on Windows Key > Administrative Tools > Services.
Right click on SNMP Service and click on Properties.
Click on the Security tab.
Add permissions as below:
public - READ ONLY
private - READ WRITE
Set "Allow SNMP Packets from these hosts"
Ensure "localhost" & "127.0.0.1" are in the field below.

One thing to note, is if you are managing this on a server core using RDP & you cannot see the security settings for the SNMP service, you will need to install SNMP on the machine you are accessing the server from.

Secondly, You will need to ensure you have HP system management homepage installed on the physical server.
You will need to look on HP's website to download drivers, you will need the below for this to work properly:

iLO Channel Interface Driver
    iLO Management Controller Driver
    HP Insight Management Agents for Windows x64 editions (NOT WBEM, these are the SNMP Agents)
    HP System Management Homepage

Try and install in the order above & you shouldn't have any problems, the management agents will not install if SNMP feature is not installed.

Thirdly, you will need to create a group for this particular set of servers / monitors.

Create a group.
    add your searches for the group so you can auto join devices.
    I set as master to keep devices in the group & limit the search.

Once this has been completed, you will need to add your monitors.

Right click the group you created
    Select "add remote monitors"
    Select "Monitor the Network" and next
    Select "SNMP"
    Input the loopback address here "127.0.0.1" (as we added earlier in the service security) & Select next
    Input your OID you want to monitor & ensure the community string is set to public & select next

Below are the OID's I use to monitor critical hardware, you can check other items to monitor by using a MIB browser & searching the MIB file "cpqhlth.mib" (download from HP website).

HP - Memory Check

HP - PSU Condition

HP - RAID Status

HP - Overall Server Health Status

Now, here's the interesting part, you can choose different methods for the comparison.
I set mine as:
Less than/Equals - 2

1 = Other, 2 = Healthy, 3 = Degraded, 4 = Critical or error.

This basically sets the monitor up so if it returns a status value of 1 or 2, it will become a success status, if it returns value 3 or 4, it will become a fail status.

Select all your frequency & alert template, I set mine to alert "once" so it doesn't spam the ticket board.

You do not need to add any alert messages.

Name the Montor & select finish, wait a while, whilst the monitor is applied to all the servers in your group. ( I found that it took a good 30 minutes to apply to our servers, so be patient!)

Once the monitor is added you can run a test via one of the servers to see if it reports a status back.

This does not affect your servers if you are using / want to continue using WBEM for the HP system management homepage.
    Servers should not require a reboot after this either.

I've written this as I've searched for up to date HP hardware monitoring via Labtech & not had much luck being able to actively monitor our clients HP Server hardware.

I am aware you can use WMI queries now & other methods, but I find SNMP is just so much more easier with Labtech & how we use it.

Hope this helps someone!

skyscan
Current LT Agent Count: 3000+

Re: HP Server Monitoring (SNMP, OID, Windows)

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Thank you for this but just curious where you got the OID values from? I have an HP server that is perfectly healthy (according to all aspects of the system management homepage) but is returning a value of 4.

I would like to read more info on this - or just curious if you have seen this before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe.McCall

Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Check your IML logs in iLO or System Management Homepage. Events in there don't auto-resolve, so if there were any left in the logs from a previous event it will cause the OID to pull a warning or error state.

skyscan
Current LT Agent Count: 3000+

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:01 pm

Joe.McCall wrote:
Check your IML logs in iLO or System Management Homepage. Events in there don't auto-resolve, so if there were any left in the logs from a previous event it will cause the OID to pull a warning or error state.

You are correct, I had to clear the IML logs for things to be happy. Everything is working great,thanks again for the post!

Offsite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:28 am

Glad you managed to resolve your issue, yes, if there are previous logs in IML or elsewhere, it can send an error over.

The OID values were gathered by using a MIB browser & searching the MIB file "cpqhlth.mib" (downloaded from HP website), if you want to look for any other values.