Automating the World

We have migrated servers, if you encounter any issues, please let us know on Slack, or post it.

We have also disabled registration as we migrate to the new forum systems. The slack (slack.labtechgeek.com) will always be accepting new users.

diagnostik
Topic Author
Current LT Agent Count: 5000+

Support problems

Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Is anyone else frustrated by support, or lack thereof, when contacting LabTech/Automate support? Ever since "consulting" became a thing, they don't seem to offer support beyond releasing a license to rebind to a new IP - all I get these days is a constant fight with them, telling me to contact Consulting and "set up a scoping call" because they don't have the knowledge to support the product. Can this even be real? I have a hard time believing I am supposed to pay extra just to get support, beyond what we've already paid with our support agreement. We are right at the 5500 agent mark, are they just scared of installs bigger than 500 agents? Is support training on the product too difficult? For sake of clarification, I now avoid absolutely all contact with support if I can help it at all - I contact them only when there is absolutely no documentation to cover what I'm looking at, and the problem is solely within LabTech/Automate as an application.

Are a lot of other people getting this too? I now have a ticket for an issue saving edits to groups (can't save, button does nothing) - I can edit the database just fine to do this if absolutely needed, so it's not an emergency, and I told him as much. Take your time, talk to colleagues, we just need the information is all. All I need is information to fix it - not a scoping call with a consultant of any sort. Heck, I'm not even asking them to fix it for me - just tell me what I should look for, really. I can't even get that. I've offered whatever access and information about the environment that is desired, full and complete access and transparency. Nothing from support but "paid consulting". My original ticket is now closed - and a ticket was created that bounced around a few people in management, who today after two phone calls and a LOT of information about the issue, now sent it back to the account manager saying the same thing.

If this is a common experience, please someone say so, so we can make a more informed decision as to what to do next, as we've had it at this point. We cannot continue to pay the licensing costs and not even get the slightest amount of support with it.

Thank you,

aholmes23
Geek

Re: Support problems

Sun May 21, 2017 11:04 am

I don't even need to read your entire post to agree. The level of support was never consistently great, but at least there were times where you would get someone who really knew the product to call you and work on it. Their clear goal now is to use under paid dispatchers to reply back with non-sense articles that essentially waste my time and by them more time in their SLA to get someone who actually knows what is going on to respond. It is very frustrating that 99% of my support cases are answered via email 24 to 48 hours later. It is a sad state that it takes them 24 to 48 hours to respond via EMAIL!

That being said, I have never felt as though they have tried to push me to consulting. When I eventually do get the right person, usually 5 to 7 business days later, that person generally know what the heck is going on and helps out as much as possible. I assume these are the long timers with the product who are just few and far between in their support group.

gbirk
Current LT Agent Count: 200+

Wed May 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Contacting support via email has been unproductive to say the least, but the last couple times I have used the Chat feature, and after a short wait was connected to an agent. These chat sessions have been much better and usually end up with them either providing the answer I needed or remoting into my server and addressing the problem. I have found that the chat support for many of the companies I deal with has been the best solution lately.

Richard373
Geek
Current LT Agent Count: 1000+

Fri May 26, 2017 3:38 am

My typical experience with Labtech Support usually ends up going down one of two roads. When I submit a ticket that their first line guys can deal with the response is usually fantastic and the issue is resolved quickly. If I submit a more difficult ticket that gets escalated it seems to just go in to a support black hole and bounces around for ages without a resolution or even any updates and eventually someone comes back to me and blames everything except labtech itself.

I would definitely say the quality of support has dropped in the last year or two and typically now I will avoid using them unless it's absolutely necessary as it takes up more of my time than it's worth.

mvaughan
Current LT Agent Count: 500+

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:52 am

Yeah, but check out that sweet new GUI. ;)

The one time I called them was to get DropBox installed on our host, which promptly was outdated within a week due to it not updating.

mnpuckett
Current LT Agent Count: 3000+

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 pm

Do you guys ever contact your account managers with this info? I've found ours to be a good resource for when things go sideways. That being said, I don't deal with CW support too much. Also, I believe I heard that CW outsourced their T1 support (not sure if it was just for Manage, or all business units). Could be a piece to the puzzle.

mvaughan

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:19 pm

I never have, but I came in about 9 months after LT was deployed here. They did an initial setup and some training and then the company was left to its own devices, which is definitely part of our LT problem. But the hybrid thing doesn't seem to be fully thought out and we just don't have the time to spend waiting in an IVR queue for hours. Plus I think we are in arrears, so I don't really know. I'm guessing too that a 3000+ client gets faster attention than a 750 license place like us. I'm just amazed how much it costs really.

tlphipps
Geek

Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Maybe this will help you feel better....or not. But at 3,600+ agents, we deal with the same crappy support and lack of response that you do. It's not your size.......

mvaughan

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:36 pm

tlphipps wrote:
Maybe this will help you feel better....or not. But at 3,600+ agents, we deal with the same crappy support and lack of response that you do. It's not your size.......

I guess if it's not the size it's the...

That sucks that even you aren't getting support. We have pretty much moved to Atera at this point, and it's not the greatest, but patches are vastly simpler. I'm just using LabTech to push out stuff like Ninite and another instance of ScreenConnect. I find it odd that ScreenConnect works as well as it does and LT hosted with ConnectWise is such a Frankenstein's monster. I'd really like to see something like Atera but have it be able to integrate with tons of third party software so we could make the MSP we really want instead of all these MSP packages that all have major deficiencies in areas.

And I'd probably give LT another chance if we could keep the agents in place but get a new instance. /rant off

keithk1227
Current LT Agent Count: 200+

Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:41 pm

I inherited LT too. I'm finding the same very poor level of support from them, especially for complex questions/issues. If their first line can quickly answer it, then all is OK, but like the other posts, if it gets even a little complex, it goes into a black hole and until I raise a stink, nothing gets done. They often try to push me to consulting when it is really a technical issue. For example, I was trying to run a VB script as the current logged in user which wasn't working. I didn't get any errors, just nothing. At first, they kept told me that it needed to go to Consulting and when I let them know that the script runs perfectly when manually run (didn't even need Admin rights) they had no clue. It took over 2 weeks for them to finally tell me that Oh, we can't run scripts as the logged in user. I would have thought that would have been the first thing they might have mentioned since the script modifies the registry in HCKU and they asked for a copy of the script at the beginning of the issue. Unfortunately it seems like I have to keep plugging away on the issue on my own to try to resolve it since they don't seem to know their own product very well. Add to this that their documentation has not kept up with the product and, even assuming I can find what I'm looking for, it typically has incorrect information and screen shots. I went through their Initial training and found it to be half baked and not very useful. They were all over the map in each session and things rarely connected with reality or our environement. I'll get off my soap box now.

Gavsto
Geek

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 pm

keithk1227 wrote:
I inherited LT too. I'm finding the same very poor level of support from them, especially for complex questions/issues. If their first line can quickly answer it, then all is OK, but like the other posts, if it gets even a little complex, it goes into a black hole and until I raise a stink, nothing gets done. They often try to push me to consulting when it is really a technical issue. For example, I was trying to run a VB script as the current logged in user which wasn't working. I didn't get any errors, just nothing. At first, they kept told me that it needed to go to Consulting and when I let them know that the script runs perfectly when manually run (didn't even need Admin rights) they had no clue. It took over 2 weeks for them to finally tell me that Oh, we can't run scripts as the logged in user. I would have thought that would have been the first thing they might have mentioned since the script modifies the registry in HCKU and they asked for a copy of the script at the beginning of the issue. Unfortunately it seems like I have to keep plugging away on the issue on my own to try to resolve it since they don't seem to know their own product very well. Add to this that their documentation has not kept up with the product and, even assuming I can find what I'm looking for, it typically has incorrect information and screen shots. I went through their Initial training and found it to be half baked and not very useful. They were all over the map in each session and things rarely connected with reality or our environement. I'll get off my soap box now.

I'm afraid they lied to you - it's absolutely possible to run a script as a user. I do this every day. See here for how to set this up:

https://i.imgur.com/8D6Hnaz.png

If you are not already in the LabTech Slack then you absolutely should come and visit us, we eat questions like this for breakfast and you will actually get a better answer, almost immediately, most of the time than going to LabTech Support. Sign up here https://slack.labtechgeek.com/

MetaMSP
Current LT Agent Count: 15000+

Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:43 am

Unfortunately your experiences are far from unique. The support experience has gone consistently downhill since the inception of the consulting and professional services departments. There is a questionable corporate direction (i.e., let's make everything look and feel the same instead of focusing on and resolving core code issues) and continual efforts, it seems, to make entering a proper support request difficult or nary impossible (i.e., no escalation without remote session and screenshots; removing call-in support for non-business down issues). This has created a market space for independent consultants (such as myself) but seems to be a poor choice of direction by CW overall. PROTIP: You can often get better, faster, more complete support by jumping into the LabtechGeek Slack workspace. Not a root cause remediation, but at least it is a workaround =D
No warranties expressed or implied; your mileage may vary. Good while supplies last, void where prohibited.

amw3000
Geek

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 am

tlphipps wrote:

Your not considered a major account yet so don't expect any different treatment ;)